Anchorage Shoplifting Defense Attorneys
What is Constitutes as Shoplifting?
Shoplifting, a type of theft crime, is a charge in which material goods are stolen from a retail store. Depending on the monetary value of the stolen objects and the current state of your criminal record determines the various charges associated with the crime, from a misdemeanor offense to a felony.
Types of shoplifting case include:
- Concealment of retail item
- Implication to shoplifting
- Price changing
- Stolen goods, foods, or others from a retail store
Penalties for Shoplifting in Alaska
Shoplifting and concealment of merchandise results in jail time and fines. In addition to criminal charges, civil penalties for shoplifting are legitimately recognized in Alaska, making the individual liable to face a civil lawsuit.
Shoplifting penalties include the following:
Less than $50 – Class B misdemeanor
- Maximum prison sentence of 90 days
- Fines of up to $2,000
Between $50 and $500 – Class A misdemeanor
- Maximum prison sentence of one year
- Fines of up to $10,000
- Similar penalties apply to individuals who have two prior related convictions in the past five years by stealing goods at less than $50 value
Between $500 and $25,000 – Class C felony
- Maximum prison sentence of five years for a first conviction
- Fines up to $50,000
- Similar penalties apply to individuals who have two prior related convictions in the past five years
- Similar penalties apply to individuals who stole a firearm or explosive
$25,000 or more – Class B felony
- Maximum prison sentence of 10 years
- Fines up to $100,000
Let Us Protect Your Rights in Anchorage
With over 75 years of combined experience, our Anchorage theft defense attorneys understand the seriousness of this crime and the associated penalties. Having our firm by your side may lead to the reduction or complete dismissal of the charges.
We will conduct our own thorough investigation, analyze the evidence, and interview witnesses surrounding your conviction. Don’t let a simple misunderstanding turn into an utter nightmare, do not hesitate to let us help you.
For more information, contact our Anchorage defense firm at (907) 268-4918 today.